The Keto Grilled Cheese Chaffle Sandwich is amazingly delicious!
Who else misses a good old fashioned grilled cheese sandwich? Well fortunately, there’s no need to give up one of your favorite childhood lunches – this Keto Grilled Cheese Chaffle is simple to make and is the perfect Keto comfort food for you or your family. Also a great Keto option for picky kid eaters! It’ll be easy for the entire family to remain committed to your low-carb diet with this Keto version of a grilled cheese sandwich.
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients: an egg, some mozzarella cheese, a couple slices of American cheese, baking powder (optional, but recommended for crispiness) and some butter. I also added bacon to my grilled cheese sandwich but this is optional as well. Most of you Keto dieters are probably already experts at cooking bacon, but for anyone looking for guidance on the best ways to prep your bacon (whether it be using the stovetop, baking, or in the microwave), check out my Keto BLT Chaffle post for these details. You should also totally bookmark this link for the next time you’re craving a BLT!
OK but I digress, now back to our Keto Grilled Cheese! You’ll start off by making a couple Chaffles, using your Mini Waffle Maker.
Not familiar with ‘Chaffles’?? Shameful! Just kidding, the word ‘Chaffle’ comes from merging the words “Cheese” with “Waffle”. You can think of Chaffles as your new Keto-friendly substitute for bread without all the carbs. There are tons of variations of Chaffles, ranging from savory sandwiches to sweet desserts, but the most common method to prepare them is to use a simple mixture of Cheese and Egg.
You will also need a Mini Waffle Maker to cook your Chaffles. If you don’t have one already, you can get yours on Amazon now by clicking right here. I was on Keto for over a year before I finally made the splurge on a Mini Waffle Maker, and my ONLY regret was that I waited so long to buy one…. it literally opened up an entire new world of amazing Keto possibilities.
Once you’ve made your Chaffles (following the detailed recipe steps below), you’ll add some American Cheese slices and finish off this grilled cheese in a skillet, searing the chaffle over some butter to give it a nice firm texture similar to traditional toast. You’ll know it’s ready to eat once your cheese has melted thoroughly.
This Keto Grilled Cheese Chaffle will be ready in 10 minutes following the easy recipe steps below. I hope you enjoy this Keto Grilled Cheese as much as I did!
Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup of Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 Slices of Yellow American Cheese
- 2-3 Slices of Cooked Bacon
- 1 Tsp of Butter
- 1/2 Tsp of Baking Powder (optional)
- Step 1 Prepare 3 slices of bacon and cut in half to fit on your chaffles.
- Step 2 Preheat the Mini Waffle maker by plugging it in.
- Step 3 To make your Chaffle mix, crack an egg into a small bowl and mix with 1/2 cup mozzarella, and 1/2 a tsp of Baking Powder (optional, for crispier texture). This mix will make 2 Chaffles.
- Step 4 Pour 1/2 the mix into the pre-heated Chaffle maker and allow to cook for 4 minutes.
- Step 5 Remove the Chaffle and repeat by pouring the other half of the mix into your Chaffle maker and cooking for 4 minutes. Ensure you unplug the Mini waffle maker when done.
- Step 6 Layer your 2 slices of American cheese and bacon slices in between your chaffles.
- Step 7 Next melt a tsp of butter onto a skillet then add your Grilled Cheese sandwich to the pan. Fry for a couple minutes on each side covered, until chaffle browns and cheese has melted.
- Step 8 Slice your chaffle sandwich in half and your Keto Grilled Cheese is now ready to serve!
Can’t remember all the Keto rules? Our one-of-a-kind Keto Cheat Sheets have EVERYTHING you need to know to help you get started. Now Available for sale on Amazon and at KetoHealing’s Etsy Shop. Conveniently sized to display right on your refrigerator door.
Looking for more Chaffle Recipes? Browse our favorite Chaffle recipes here. And for the ultimate Chaffle fans, you may also like KetoHealing’s Printable Keto Chaffle Recipe List featuring our favorite savory and sweet Chaffles as a convenient Digital Download on Etsy.
Need help getting started on Keto? Take a look at my How to Get Into Ketosis post for FREE getting started tips, grocery lists, easy meal planning and more!