Let’s face it – giving up sugar and carbs is a HUGE sacrifice and commitment! In fact, for some of us, cutting Carbs is literally one of the LAST things we want to do – a path we’re only willing to take because all other roads have failed us.
That’s why anyone going down this Keto journey share a purpose – we’re committed to achieving our personal health goal(s). Many are motivated by weight loss and have seen incredible results, while others like myself have gone Keto for other reasons – whether reducing inflammation, improving mental clarity, or getting blood sugar levels under control.
Here are just a few of the many health benefits of Keto:
- Improves Fat Burning / Weight Loss – Ketosis means you are literally burning fat for energy, so it comes as no surprise that Keto helps people burn their excess body fat. Many experience pretty significant weight reduction after committing to a keto diet.
- Reduces Inflammation – That keto diet has the potential to drastically reduce pain and inflammation. Sugar is a huge inflammatory and causes the body to produce large amounts of insulin. The keto diet allows blood sugar levels to stabilize, reducing inflammation throughout the body.
- Reduces blood sugar and insulin levels – The keto diet is helpful for those with diabetes and insulin resistance, which affects millions of people worldwide. Studies prove that cutting back carb intake stabilizes blood sugar and leads to a reduction in insulin resistance, preventing the development of diabetes. Note: Please work with your doctor before you make significant changes to your carb intake, particularly if you’re on medication – diabetics will likely need to reduce their insulin dosage once they go keto.
- Reduces Hunger/ Cravings – Ketosis allows you to go greater periods of time between meals or skip meals entirely. Sudden and intense hunger pangs are caused by blood sugar instability. A keto diet balances blood sugar levels, providing your brain with a more stable form of energy and eliminating intense cravings and hunger pangs. If you’re someone who gets ‘hangry’, you likely suffer from blood sugar instability and will benefit from Keto.
- Improves Mental Clarity – Another great benefit of Keto is your brain may feel sharper. Inflammation can affect the brain’s ability to function (resulting in anxiety, depression, brain fog, among other symptoms). A reduction in inflammation improves mental performance.
- Increases Energy – Ketones supply your body with a longer lasting, sustained fuel for energy compared to carbohydrates. Being ‘fat adapted’ means your body can rely on your fat reserves for energy so your energy will remain stable throughout the day.
- Improves Liver Health – A keto diet reduces the risk of a fatty liver, a disease characterized by a build-up of fat in the liver. Fatty liver disease occurs when fat makes up at least 10% of the liver, and is a risk factor for Pre-diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Improves Hearth Health – A keto diet improves heart health by increasing levels of HDL (the good cholesterol) and lowering triglyceride levels in the blood, both of which are major risk factors in heart disease.
Did you come across other health benefits on the keto diet? Drop me a note and let me know!
Before you go, don’t forget to check out my Recipes page for some easy & delicious Keto meals.
Or return to my Keto Beginner’s Guide here.
Having trouble remembering all the Keto rules? Get your Keto ‘Cheat Sheet’ now at KetoHealing’s Etsy Shop.
Don’t want to miss out on new Keto recipes, tips, or tricks? ‘Follow’ us on facebook at Facebook.com/KetoHealing.